We have a HOTBATCH service class defined with IMP=1, Execution Velocity of 90, with the CPU Critical flag turned on. This service class has a jobclass assigned to it. At any given time during our batch window, there may be up to two of three of these jobs running.

For a system with only 4 LP's that's an extremely high velocity and probably isn't attainable. You neglected to mention what your "actuals" were, since that would be helpful in assessing what's taking place.

Bear in mind that if your velocity is essentially unachievable, the only thing that will happen is WLM will set the Skip Clock and tend to ignore that service class from receiving help.

Bring the velocity into line with what it can actually use [keeping in mind the the other high importance level tasks that are also running].

It appears that you're trying to use velocity as a priority setting [which it isn't]. In addition, CPU critical isn't likely going to make much difference either, since it is highly unlikely that batch elapsed time is that heavily dependent on CPU.

Adam