In most languages other than American English a billion is a million mllion.  A
thousand
million is a milliard - even officially in UK English. These days, the American
usage is
becoming prevalent in the UK as well.

The idea behind kMIPS (and I agree it's an abortion) was to provide a scalable
nmber that
would get us away from the apparent precision of the five-digit numbers
regularly thrown
around when discussing, e.g., z9 performance.

Back when we had 15 MIPS machines, we knew damn well that they actually ran at
13 MIPS on some
workloads and 17 MIPS on others.  No one (even deranged) would have referred to
a 15.000 MIPS
machine - but people are now routinely referring to 15,000 MIPS machines.

And these days that precision is less justified and - in an era of ugrade on
demand - less
necessary.

Hence the idea of 15 kMIPS instead of 15,000 MIPS.

--
  Phil Payne
  http://www.isham-research.co.uk