Your question brings back fond memories.  I once was president of the Tampa Bay
Florida Chapter of Association of Computing Machinery and my wife Charlotte and
I picked up Grace Hopper at the Tampa airport and brought her to the dinner
meeting to speak.  She did talk about the nano-second wire but more importantly
talked about the need for industry standard languages such as COBOL and
standard communications protocols such as TCP/IP and HTML which evolved out of
the DARPA military network.  Hopper was a leader with vision:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Hopper