At University of Waterloo, we had a direct feed to Waterloo North Hydro. Since
power lines are generally underground in Ontario, power is pretty stable in
general; having a direct feed meant we never had to worry about it (well, there
was allegedly a motor-generator in a sub-basement, but nobody I knew had ever
actually SEEN it, and the rumor was that the first time they'd tried to run it,
the crankshaft failed and they then realized they'd built a building on top of
it and had no way to remove it for servicing).

One day we lost power for several hours. The 4341s (yes, this was a while ago!)
did OK, but I heard that some of the smaller machines in various departments
had failed spectacularly, as in sparks and blown boards.

A cow-orker later confided to me that his roommate worked at Waterloo North
Hydro and had been responsible: he'd been reconfiguring some stuff and sent
10,000 volts (or some such huge number) down the feed by mistake. Oops...
--
...phsiii

Phil Smith III
p...@voltage.com<mailto:p...@voltage.com>