From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of Tommy Tsui
Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 6:59 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Tapeless solution (IBM or Sun) Enterprise class

What I concerns are:
1. Tape still have life time, if 1TB tape damage then we need more time to
re-built or re-create it, except you implement dual copy or PPRC VTS and it
cost you more.
2. Tape migration is my concern, I think disk to disk migration is more
faster solution. I can't find any migration approach for B20 to TS7740 or
TS7740 to another new model, except using COPYCAT or TAPECOPY utility, read
all  tapes to cache and copy back to other tape subsystem 3. IBM Tape drives
cannot read each other, TS1120, TS1130, TS1140...If a new model comes and we
need to preform another migration....copy again and again from tape to
another tape system because of new drives.....TRUE

to lists...@bama.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN