From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Frank Yaeger
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2012 4:22 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: MERGE question: Does SEQNUM restart for each SORTINxx?

Peter Farley at IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu> wrote
on 03/30/2012 12:01:36 PM:
> Frank, one small fly in the TRAILER1 ointment.  In the VB SORTOUT
> file, the TRAILER1 parameter generates a maximum-length record
> regardless of whether less data is specified in the TRAILER1
> subparameters.  I tried using a "/" subparameter at the end of the
> TRAILER1 specification, but that does not truncate the trailer and
> also generated an additional blank record following the TRAILER1 record.
>
> Is there a way to truncate the output from TRAILER1 at a specific
> length?  In my real-world business case I need it to stop at 700
> data bytes (plus RDW) where the LRECL=8004.  In my test case already
> presented, could the generated TRAILER1 data be truncated at, say 40
bytes?

Peter,

DFSORT does NOT generate a maximum length record for TRAILER1.
Are you using DFSORT?

When I run the DFSORT job I gave you, I see a length of 43
for the trailer record in SORTOUT.

I use this DFSORT step to display the record length and data:

//SHOWV EXEC  PGM=SORT
//SYSOUT    DD  SYSOUT=*
//SORTIN  DD DSN=...   output data set from S2
//SORTOUT DD SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN    DD    *
 OPTION COPY
 OUTFIL BUILD=(1,4,1,2,BI,EDIT=(TT),3,2,BI,EDIT=(TT),5)

It shows the following for the S2 SORTOUT data set:

4300000FILE HDR DATE=032912,FILE=FILE1.NAME
1900001DATA REC 001
1900002DATA REC 002
1900003DATA REC 003
1900004DATA REC 004
1900005DATA REC 005
3100005DATA REC 005 SECOND TIME
1900006DATA REC 006
1900007DATA REC 007
1900008DATA REC 008
1900009DATA REC 009
4300999FILE TLR CNT=00000000010,DATE=032912

If that's not what you're getting with DFSORT, then
something is different in your run.  If you send me
the complete JES log with all of the messages offline,
maybe I can figure out what's different.

attachments from your system.