I'm writing for Destination z -- http://destinationz.org/ -- about BYOD ("bring your own devices"). People describing how they telework mentioned using tablets and smartphones for monitoring work systems, resolving problems, doing routine chores, communicating with colleagues, researching projects, etc.

I'd like to hear about specifics -- what's used, in what ways? What can be done and what's still beyond reach?

What technology is required inside the organization (mainframe, network, security, etc.) for this to work?

What (BYO)devices are best/worst for this? Same for apps?

At least as important, what are policies? Do organizations allow using employee-provided gadgets to work inside the trusted network? Do organizations require "containerizing" authorized applications to prevent contamination by other connections/data/applications? Or is BYOD prohibited? Tolerated? Ignored (head-in-sand management, could happen!)

As usual -- thanks for responses! And for extra credit please copy responses to me so I see them outside list digests.

--
Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc.       g...@gabegold.com
3401 Silver Maple Place, Falls Church, VA 22042           (703) 204-0433