Thanks, I continue this on linux-390 mailing list.

-Mikael

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Mark Post
Sent: 8. huhtikuuta 2012 19:57
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Oracle DataGuard on Linux on z

>>> On 4/8/2012 at 05:13 AM, Mikael Wargh <mikael.wa...@tietoenator.com> wrote:
> We're planning to run Oracle EE database with Data Guard option on Linux on
> system z. So far everything seems doable, but we found some net presentation
> telling that the two instances (active-passive) has to be exactly on same
> software level and on a same type of hardware (chipset etc) to work properly.
> Now we're wondering if this will work on z196 (active database) and z10BC
> (passive replication database) combination.

That should be just fine, but you might get a more definitive answer asking
this question on the linux-390 mailing list.  Damian Gallagher from Oracle
hangs out there, and he is very knowledgeable about Oracle running on Linux for
System z.

> Isn't z/VM same from Linux point
> of view regardless of z hardware where it's running?

No.  z/VM doesn't "lie" about what hardware you're on, it just makes it
shareable among many guests.

Mark Post