This topic I cannot resist...  Urrrrggghhhh...

Having learned COBOL in the mid 70's, the instructor taught that PERFORM was to
be used only in situations where you wanted
to do a certain routine at several locations in the program.  The teaching was
also about "straight line" programming.  Flow
Charts were also part of the curriculum.

Having said that, I still use GO TO extensively, and have not kept up with the
"modern" programming extensions and constructs.
I've had many instances in my career where a "structured" program has been
"straight lined" with extremely dramatic performance
results.  Mostly I believe that knowing Assembler language and how the COBOL
compiler would generate the assembler code version
of the program provided the reasons for my coding techniques.  I would write
the program as close to what the assembler code
would be as possible.  This would usually provide some great performance at run
time (and at compile time).

One example (out of several) was a program which normally took 4-6 hours to do
its magic.  When I re-wrote it due to the necessity
of adding more functionality, I went ahead and "straight lined" it according to
the logic of what the program was supposed to do.
When the re-write was finished, the new program took 20 minutes to run the
first time it was in production.  I have several other
examples with these type of results.

Also, CICS used to treat the "HANDLE CONDITION" API as a GO TO, not a perform.
Went to the Well in the early-mid 80's over that
one with a bunch of certain "whiz-kids" who were trained under the good doctors
premises.