On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 10:33 PM, John McKown <joa...@swbell.net> wrote:

> Guess I am spoiled by the assembler (as command) and C/C++ compiler's
> support of both UNIX paths and z/OS PDS[E]s.
>
> Spoiled by common sense :-)   z/OS Unix commands should not be walled out
from z/OS datasets.

> I have a, to me, clumsy way to get around it. I started up the NFS
> server and exported the high level qualifier that had the PDS[E]s that I
> needed, then did a MOUNT onto a z/OS UNIX subdirectory. Clumsy, but it
> does work.
>
> Its especially silly considering that BPAM already supports reading
concatenations of  PDS[E] and Unix directories.    Apparently, the cob2
developer, or maybe the underlying COBOL compiler has "protected" itself
from this support.

I may write my own version of the cob2 command which does what _I_ want.
> Should be fairly easy. Just set up the allocations as needed using
> DYNALLOC, then use BPX1ATM UNIX routine to ATTACH the IGYCRCTL program.
>
> Or with a pretty simple REXX shell script.   It might be that the COBOL
compiler (IGYCRCTL) has open exits that detects SYSLIB mixed PDS/Unix
contatenations (but unlikely I would guess).