On 19/04/2012 10:50 PM, Michael Klaeschen wrote:
I do not agree to Paul's answer. flockfile() only relates to file
descriptors. Opening another file descriptor for the same file will not be
in scope of that particular lock. Instead you might consider BPX1FCT with
the BPXYBRLK mapping structure. However, as found in the "important note"
of  v_lockctl description in PFS File System Interface Reference, all
locking mechanisms are  just convention for well-behaving processes and do
not guarantee exclusive use.

BPX1FCT = fcntl() right?

IMHO, POSIX and common Unix implementations just don't offer exclusive
control as found in MVS (i.e. GRS). May be you can use ISGENQ to obtain an
enqueue for Unix resources -- but beware of being overconfident.

Of course, fcntl() can be used to implement byte-range-locking. So in theory you could use it to implement
row-level locking in a dictionary library. ENQ is not that granular.

Cheers
Michael