On 25 April 2012 19:30, Edward Jaffe <edja...@phoenixsoftware.com> wrote:
> On 4/25/2012 4:26 PM, Paul Schuster wrote:
>>
>> In the WTOR documentation (SA22-7607-17 and earlier versions[z/OS V1R13.0
>> MVS Assembler Services Reference IAR-XCT]), there is this in the LIST form
>>
>> "The message parameter must be provided in the list form."
>>
>> Later, in the EXECUTE form description there is this:
>>
>> "The message cannot be modified on the execute form of the macro if you
>> code
>> inline text (‘msg’...) on the list form."
>>
>> What is the point of having a TEXT=(textaddress) if you can't use it on
>> the MF=E form?  Or am I missing something too obvious?
>

> I believe they are referring to the first positional parameter of the WTO
> macro as the so-called 'inline' text message. TEXT=(textaddress) is not the
> same as the inline message.

That's it. The expansion when you have inline text would be just too
painful for an MF=E form to modify, because the various flags are
split, with some being before and some after the text. This is also
true of the TEXT= form, but in that case there is always a fixed
length (8) piece (flags + 4-byte text pointer) before the rest of the
flags and values and pointers, so an MF=E can update it fairly easily.

That said, I've found that for anything beyond very minor dynamic
changes like changing the text pointer, it is much more flexible to
use the WPL and WPX mapping macros, and do the work myself. For
instance if you want to add or remove a routing or descriptor code, or
change your WTO to a command response with a CART, trying to do it
with just MF=L and MF=E will probably lead to grief.

Tony H.