From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf
Of Walt Farrell
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2012 6:05 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: Programming languages can't have copyright protection, EU court
rules

On Wed, 2 May 2012 10:49:18 -0700, Charles Mills <charl...@mcn.org> wrote:

>> Can one replicate the 'look and feel' without copyright issues in the
>> EU
>now?
>
>I might add that "look and feel" might be subject to copyright protection.
>Copyright, again, protects *expression.*
>
>If I wrote a z/OS system monitor that cleverly displayed the status of
>started tasks as bouncing balls of various sizes and colors, that
>expression might be subject to copyright, but the function of
>displaying the status of started tasks graphically would not.

And, if I understand the Oracle claims in the US lawsuit, Oracle says that
they -can- copyright the library specifications and implementation (API)
because (I think) it's a kind of "look and feel" aspect of their Java
implementation, even if they can't copyright the Java language itself.

But that seems to go directly against the EU decision we're talking about
here, since the SAS case seems to revolve around duplication of library
APIs, too, if I understand it correctly.