On 5/3/2012 9:48 PM, W. Kevin Kelley wrote:
In z/OS R13, DFSMS changed approximately 400 of their rather cryptic IEC error
messages to include additional lines of explanation. Feedback from R13 ESP
customers indicated that the additional lines of explanation were appreciated
for end-users but were not wanted in the SYSLOG/OPERLOG or on consoles. A
suggestion was made that the additional lines of explanation be written only to
the JOBLOG and not to other places that the message might go.

z/OS OA37957 and DFSMS OA37505 provide the suggested support: the additional lines of
explanation -- now referred to as "verbose message lines" -- are written only
to the JOBLOG; they are not included with the message if it is written to the
SYSLOG/OPERLOG or queued to a console. A new .MSGOPTION statement has been added to
MPFLSTxx to allow you to enable or disable verbose message support at a system level: if
the support is disabled (the default), the DFSMS error messages will not include
additional lines of explanation; if the support is enabled, the DFSMS error messages will
include the additional lines of explanation, but the verbose message lines will be
written only to the JOBLOG. The DISPLAY MPF command response now displays the MSGOPTION
enablement state.

If verbose message support is enabled, the additional message lines are visible
in MPF exits and are visible on the Subsystem Interface (SSI). The following
control blocks have been modified to provide an indication if a verbose message
line is present: WPL, WQE, CTXT and MDB. We have been in contact with the
various automation venders and they are all aware of how to recognize verbose
message lines. We expect that most venders will choose to ignore the verbose
message lines.

Any comments/criticisms/suggestions?

W. Kevin Kelley -- IBM POK Lab -- z/OS Core Technical Development

Kevin,

These messages are a good idea, so please don't be deterred in your efforts to bring this technology to other components. This technology will save thousands, perhaps millions of man hours around the world spent looking up common error messages, when simple explanations in the joblog can tell you exactly what's wrong. This will be a huge productivity boost.

You and others spent a lot of time describing these messages at the TDM and in other forums, so notifications were available for vendors in PartnerWorld, members of SHARE attending the closed meetings, etc. I'm not sure what else you can do to get the word out.

I think the MPFLST option should be something like JOBLOG, SYSLOG, or BOTH. That should satisfy the needs of all parties. My choice would be BOTH. Thanks again for this enhancement.

Regards,
Tom Conley