I don't know your application, but IMHO every application design should include backup considerations. When I hear "24x7 and no time for backups" I also hear (ashamed whisper) "in fact we do backups, but it take whole week to finish it. Recovery would be horrible, we didn't tested it yet". One polish bank was closed for over week just because backups were not planned correctly. Application HAVE to allow to do backups. It can rely on flashcopy-like functions, preferrably online mechanism like DB2 imagecopy, maybe just backup window.

If you don't like HSM autobackups, then you can use ad hoc backups (HSEND) - it's still better than IBEGENER/DSS based ones, because HSM tracks the backups in an inventory. It can be part of job scheduling. IMHO usually it is feasible to customize ARCMDxx to have autobackups when needed.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

Joel C. Ewing wrote:

An interesting difference in philosophy. We use HSM less for backups and more for space management. The backup capability sounded attractive initially, but we quickly found that with some application batch running almost 24x7 there were too many cases where the timing of autobackup and/or the number of cycles needed made HSM backup a bad fit for us. On the other hand, being able to move idle data the users are unwilling to delete to duplexed ML2 has become a significant savings for us for DR. The data is completely covered for DR and yet rarely needs to be touched. If the migrated data were still on DASD, it would have to be repeatedly processed and dumped by daily DR point-in-time backups and add significantly to the cost of daily DR processing.

If we had the luxury of our own DR hot site and could afford the required bandwidth, we would look for DR solutions that minimized dependency on tapes and rethink our current HSM strategies as well.