Kees --

IRD Weight Management is used at some of my client sites. I think it is very
useful. For a review that capabilities this feature enables to WLM to shift
"weight" between LPARs in the same SYSPLEX on a single CPC based on importance.
For example if importance=3 work in LPAR A is exceeding it's goal, and
importance=2 work in LPAR B is missing it's goal then WLM will move some
"weight" from LPAR A to LPAR B to help out the importance=2 work.

Seems very useful to me, but I'm a consulting and I'm not running a data
center.

On to LPAR Group Capacity Limit. Another nice feature, requested by customers
for a long time and introduced with z/OS 1.8. LPAR GCL is also "managed" by
WLM. This capability manages the 4 hour rolling average of a group of LPARs to
not exceed a customer set limit. This capability uses the LPAR's weight
settings as the indication of how the LPARs should participate in the group.

However as Kees wrote in the original post:

The docs mention "As WLM is responsible for
both WLM LPAR Weight Management and
soft-capping, it will be aware when an LP is
being soft-capped, and will not make any
further adjustments to the weight of the LP
until the soft-cap is removed."

This is a problem, it is when the GCL is being enforced that a site would most
like IRD LPAR Weight Management to kick in and start redistributing the limited
CPU resource based on importance of the workloads rather than the initially set
weights of the LPARs.

IBM does not want to fix this issue. I think it has been entered as a "SHARE
requirement".

So some sites have decided not to use GCL because they view "IRD LPAR Weight
Management" as more useful. Other sites have made the decision the other way.
Still other sites are using both while understanding this limitation.

Al Sherkow, I/S Management Strategies, Ltd.
Consulting Expertise on Capacity Planning, Performance Tuning,
WLC, LPARs, IRD and LCS Software
Seminars on IBM SW Pricing, LPARs, and IRD
Voice: +1 414 332-3062
Web: www.sherkow.com