I have heard two good suggestions.
1. Add an aid to the HMC to access the Wait State code documentation.
2. ZZSA equivalent easily invoked via HMC (or SE) as fix of last resort :)

Once, after final recabling of a DASD move, we had one mistake in LOADxx. It
did take opening an incident with IBM to fully diagnose. We were about to
recable back, when I remembered the CD Sam K. gave out at SHARE. Flipped the
equivalent of 2 bits in one character and there was dancing in the machine room.

Dave Gibney
Information Technology Services
Washington State University