But here is sortof the laundry list of what I found and used with Lots of help.

1) Update the Configure perl script and add this line (after the existing
OS390-Unix line, which isn't used):

"OS/390","c99_x:-O -DB_ENDIAN -DCHARSET_EBCDIC -DNO_SYS_PARAM_H
-D_ALL_SOURCE::(unknown):::THIRTY_TWO_BIT DES_PTR DES_UNROLL MD2_CHAR RC4_INDEX
RC4_CHAR BF_PTR:::",

Notice that all I changed was to change the label to "OS/390" and to use the
c99_x command.
- c99 means to use STDC99, which automatically implies LONGLONG.  This avoids
the shell quoting issues.
- the c99_x means to compile and link using XPLINK linkage.

2) ensure that perl and gmake are in your PATH

3) chmod +x tools/*

4) export MAKE=gmake
   export _C89_CCMODE=1   (not sure that this is needed any more with the c99
command)

5) gmake install failed because of Undeclared identifiers

ERROR CCN3045 ./b_sock.c:888   Undeclared identifier NI_MAXHOST.
ERROR CCN4324 ./b_sock.c:888   Array size must have integer type.
ERROR CCN3045 ./b_sock.c:888   Undeclared identifier NI_MAXSERV.
ERROR CCN4324 ./b_sock.c:888   Array size must have integer type.

So, I added these lines to crypto/bio/b_sock.c file starting at line 102

Which was right after these identifiers
#ifndef WSAAPI
#define WSAAPI
#endif

Added these

#ifndef NI_MAXSERV
#define NI_MAXSERV 32
#endif

#ifndef NI_MAXHOST
#define NI_MAXHOST 1025
#endif

Then I had a few other issues, not sure if it was caused by my installation or
the openssl code. I'm guessing the first.

In the PROBLEMS doc there is a reference for this issue.

gmakeÝ2¨: Entering directory `/u/w012108/temp/openssl-1.0.1/apps'
( :; LIBDEPS="${LIBDEPS:--L.. -lssl  -L.. -lcrypto }"; LDCMD="${LDCMD:-c99_x}";
LDFLAGS="${LDFLAGS:--O -DB_ENDIAN -DCHARSET_EBCDIC -DNO_SYS_PARAM_H
-D_ALL_SOURC E}"; LIBPATH=`for x in $LIBDEPS; do echo $x; done | sed -e 's/¬
*-L//;t' -e d | uniq`; LIBPATH=`echo $LIBPATH | sed -e 's/ /:/g'`;
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LIBPATH:$LD_ LIBRARY_PATH ${LDCMD} ${LDFLAGS} -o
${APPNAME:=openssl} openssl.o verify.o asn1p ars.o req.o dgst.o dh.o dhparam.o
enc.o passwd.o gendh.o errstr.o ca.o pkcs7.o c rl2p7.o crl.o rsa.o rsautl.o
dsa.o dsaparam.o ec.o ecparam.o x509.o genrsa.o gen dsa.o genpkey.o s_server.o
s_client.o speed.o s_time.o apps.o s_cb.o s_socket.o app_rand.o version.o
sess_id.o ciphers.o nseq.o pkcs12.o pkcs8.o pkey.o pkeypara m.o pkeyutl.o
spkac.o smime.o cms.o rand.o engine.o ocsp.o prime.o ts.o srp.o ${
LIBDEPS} )
FSUM3008 Specify a file with the correct suffix (.c, .i, .s, .o, .x, .p, .I, or
.a), or a corresponding data set name, instead of -L...
gmakeÝ2¨: *** Ýlink_app.¨ Error 1
gmakeÝ2¨: Leaving directory `/u/w012108/temp/openssl-1.0.1/apps'
gmakeÝ1¨: *** Ýopenssl¨ Error 2
gmakeÝ1¨: Leaving directory `/u/w012108/temp/openssl-1.0.1/apps'
gmake: *** Ýbuild_apps¨ Error 1

Went in and edited the Makefile in apps and test directory

#LIBCRYPTO=-L.. -lcrypto
#LIBSSL=-L.. -lssl
#Commented out previous lines
#Added the following 2 lines for -L issue per PROBLEMS doc
LIBCRYPTO=../libcrypto.a
LIBSSL=../libssl.a

Then it started to complain about missing CEE.xxxxxx datasets, this was because
my C++ compiler was never customized

In member   /usr/lpp/cbclib/xlc/etc/xlc.cfg  was still pointing to default MVS
datasets.

After that everything magically got solved and I now have a valid openssl
module.

/temp/openssl-1.0.1/apps > ./openssl version
OpenSSL 1.0.1 14 Mar 2012

Hope that helps and you hopefully dont have the last few issues.

I know way too much now about something I thought was ummm simple.

Thanks

Ms. Terri E. Shaffer
terri.e.shaf...@jpmchase.com
Engineer
J.P.Morgan Chase & Co.
GTI DCT ECS Core Services zSoftware Group / Emerging Technologies
Office: # 614-213-3467
Cell: # 412-519-2592