It's not ISPF, but ICETOOL should be able to give you what you want.  Look up
the OCCUR operator.

Rex

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of
Zaromil Tisler
Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:51 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
Subject: Comparing datasets

Is there z/OS (ISPF) tool that can check if all lines of dataset A are
contained in dataset B? In other words, is there a tool that could check if
dataset A is a subset of dataset B, where A and B are sets of records (lines)?
I can accomplish it using COMPARE ISPF edit function or SuperC Compare Utility,
but datasets have to be sorted.

Example:

dataset A content:
C1
B1
A1

dataset B content:
A1
B1
C1

Result of editing A and comparing it to B:
.OAAAA C1
.OAAAB B1
000003 A1
====== B1
====== C1

Result of editing B and comparing it to A:
.OAAAA A1
.OAAAB B1
000003 C1
====== B1
====== A1

Background:  I wanted to check if all cross product dependency PTFs of product
A are already applied in product B. I generated two datasets, A and B
respectively, and compared them in ISPF editor using COMPARE function. I was
surprised with result so I read the tutorial looking for any parameter that
could influence this behaviour, but haven't found any. There were no porblems
to sort both datasets in this case, I am just curious.

(Later I tried to do this on my pc and it worked in Notepad++).

--
Zaromil

The information contained in this e-mail may contain confidential and/or
privileged information and is intended for the sole use of the intended
recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this communication
is strictly prohibited and that you will be held responsible for any such
unauthorized activity, including liability for any resulting damages. As
appropriate, such incident(s) may also be reported to law enforcement. If you
received this e-mail in error, please reply to sender and destroy or delete the
message and any attachments. Thank you.