Charles Mills writes

<begin extract>
DBB LECL will almost certainly not assemble (as John G. was pointing
out, a bit obtusely). Should be LRECL
</end extract>

Equally, 'DBB' should of course be 'DCB'.

My point--serendipitously well illustrated by what you typed--was
that, since the OP obviously knows that 'LECL'. should be 'LRECL',
there was a strong possibility that his typo was a transcription
error, defective in his post but not in his code.  In reviewing the
language I used to make this point I find no basis for the notion that
it is obtuse.  (It is at once clear and polite, but perhaps I should
add that I am capable of being impolite.)

While I am responding, I do not much like your
'definition'/characterization of a DSECT.  A DSECT is a portable
putative storage template.  It describes but neither allocates nor
initializes a block of storage.

Like other preogramming constructs, a DSECT can be misused.  You are
of course correct that if pointed "in the weeds" it will yield
gibberish and, with luck, a quick ABEND.

John Gilmore, Ashland, MA 01721 - USA