On Jan 13, 2006, at 11:53 AM, Pommier, Rex R. wrote:

I couldn't agree more, Bruce.

It has been interesting reading this thread and seeing people talking about suing and so on. My question is: Do Oracle or IDMS or any other 390-based DBMS have any facility for internal sorting? My guess would be "yes". Do they require the end-user to purchase an additional external sort routine to make them function? Probably not. DB2 needed internal sort functionality and decided to borrow code fro the DFSort folks rather than re- invent the wheel. Something about code-reuse which I seem to recall somebody making comments about IBM not reusing code. Here they are, and getting complaints about it. I don't recall anywhere in this thread where IBM said I couldn't use SyncSort or any other sort routine on the box that is running DB2, nor are they requiring me to buy DFSort, nor are they giving me a full, free license to use DFSort. This whole thread seems to be making a mountain out of a molehill. It almost seems like it's Friday the 13th or something like that...

Just my $.02.

Rex

Rex,

IIRC there is at LEAST one usermod to change the default ddname from sysout to (your choice). BTDT and have the black and blue marks to prove it.

Ed