Major mainframe changes often begin with small proof-of-concept (POC)
projects. Sometimes they're even off-radar skunkworks efforts, hidden
until results are irrefutable and leading to game-changing successes.
Linux on System z is frequently introduced with this toe-in-water
approach, then scaled for huge server consolidation.

Tell me about what's been learned from your POC projects --
specifically, what's the best way to conceive, plan, implement,
evaluate, and report on work expected to introduce new technologies,
tools, products, processes, etc. Have they been done with management
support or as unsanctioned technology bright ideas? Either way, were
they formal projects or seat-of-pants fun? What's been evaluated?

And, of course, mention why some things didn't pan out. Were ideas
flawed or could POCs have been done better?

As usual, extra credit for copying replies to me directly so they're not
buried in list digests.

As usual, thanks...

--
Gabriel Goldberg, Computers and Publishing, Inc.       g...@gabegold.com
3401 Silver Maple Place, Falls Church, VA 22042           (703) 204-0433