Hi Team,

I wondered if anybody had any thoughts on the above.  I don’t want the
names of products to help do this, this question specifically regards
whether the 3270 data stream, in the instance from CICS should be
encrypted.  So, for SNA 3270 the data path is somewhat of a “Private”
network, where pseudo encryption exists because the X.25 data frames are
proprietary and notoriously hard if not impossible to decipher.  However,
when using an IP data path, by definition there is a “Private to Public”
data path evolution, and of course TN3270 does not encrypt the data path
by default.  OK so the IP Network will have a Firewall and therefore a
good level of Security, but we’re homing in on the CICS data path…

Thus, hypothetically speaking, for a business critical call centre type
workload, required ~24*7*365, with data that is sensitive, including Name,
Address, Financial and Government details, would you encrypt the TN3270
data path or not; so please answer:

1 – Yes
2 – No

Thank you; I will then publish the results after a week or so.

It would seem to me that SOX, HIPPA, FSA, UK Data Protection Act, et al
might have some influence here!

So, why am I asking this question?  I’m working with a client on something
totally different, but I heard they were performing this conversion.  I
asked them on their thoughts regarding data stream encryption, and by them
I mean the highest levels of management, including the Security & Risk
Manager; their reply was, hmmm, didn’t realise that, but hey, we don’t
care, we’ve got Firewall protection.  So if it were your business would
you consider encrypting business critical and sensitive data, which could
be done with a very simple implementation, for example:

TN3270 protocols can easily use SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) functionality,
which means that all data is encrypted before it is sent to the client.
Encrypted data received from the client is the decrypted before the data
is sent to VTAM, but the flows between Telnet and VTAM are unchanged.

To use SSL, TN3270 protocols must have a private key and access to an
associated server certificate. The TN3270 server can obtain the server
certificate and the keys from three different places:

* A KDB file stored in an MVS data set
* A KDB file stored in an HFS file
* The RACF database

SSL client authentication provides additional authentication and access
control by checking client certificates at the server. This support
prevents a client from obtaining a connection without an installation-
approved certificate.

There are three ascending levels of client authentication that can be
defined for TN3270 protocols:

Level 1 is the simplest level. To pass authentication, the Certificate
Authority (CA) that signed the client certificate must be considered
trusted by the server (that is, a certificate for the CA that issued the
client certificate is listed as trusted in the server's keyring). If the
client is using a self-signed certificate, then the client certificate
needs to be in the server’s keyring as a trusted CA certificate. You
implement this level of authentication by coding CLIENTAUTH SSLCERT in the
TCP/IP profile.

Level 2 authentication includes level 1 authentication. In addition, level
2 checking verifies that the client certificate has been registered with
RACF (or other SAF-compliant security product that supports certificate
registration). To implement level 2, the client certificate has to be
added to the RACF database and associated with a RACF user ID. The TCP/IP
configuration file must have a CLIENTAUTH SAFCERT statement.

Level 3 authentication level provides, in addition to level 1 and level 2
support, the capability to map access to TN3270 ports with a SERVAUTH
class profile in RACF.

Many thanks in anticipation, Michael.