Ted MacNEIL wrote:

One of our HFS datasets is now pushing 40

extents. I was wondering how many this can go up to.

It depends.
Short answer is 123 extents per volume. 255 extents per multi-vol dataset.
Usually HFS datasets are single-vol, but you can create multi-vol as well. Multi-vol HFS have to be SMS-managed, while single-vol needn't.

ZFS datasets can be used instead of HFS. ZFSes are VSAM LDS clusters, typical VSAM limits apply (123 per volume, 255 per multi-vol).

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland