<snip>
There are many easy ways to serialize the entry and exiting of an ENF exit
or any other kind of hook so that you can know when it is safe to free up
the CSA it uses and remove the code.  One way I have used in the past is
to increment an exit-in-use counter with CS logic upon entry and decrement
it with similar CS logic upon exit.  If the counter is zero, you can free
up the CSA control block.  Of course, you must first ensure that the
routine is never entered again before you start the removal process.
<e-snip>

I disagree completely. There is no way, easy or otherwise, to serialize
this unless you control the issuance of the event (which for ENF you do
not).

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design