On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 12:03:55 -0400, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:

>I believe that slide refers to "round trips" within the z/OS world only.
>There is no statement that CCSID conversion by a system other than z/OS (such
>as the PC ftp client in your example) will be covered in the 'round trip"
>guarantee.
>
>You have to be transmitting and receiving with the same or a very compatible
>iconv() instance to be able to make such a guarantee.  It's remotely possible
>that transmission to a linux ftp client with an iconv() that is compatible
>with the z/OS iconv() *might* support such a guarantee (e.g., z/Linux), but I
>wouldn't bet on it.  And Win systems are almost guaranteed NOT to support such
>a guarantee.

(More at:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/zos/v1r11/topic/com.ibm.zos.r11.halz001/mbdata.htm
)
Which apparently implies that FTP doesn't support conversion between single-byte
code pages and multi-byte code pages.  Why not!?

Otherwise, I'd be inclined to try from a desktop client:

    BINARY
    QUOTE SITE ASCII
    QUOTE SITE MBDATACONN(IBM-1047,UTF-8)

or whatever.  Let z/OS perform all the conversion.

-- gil