Actually, I'll throw a little nit out there.  There is one feature of z/Arch
that is EBCDIC specific - and that is the decimal instruction set, with
emphasis on UNPK, ED and EDMK.

UNPK changes the digits to X'Fn'/X'ln' where l is the last nybble.
Traditional 7-bit ASCII without parity does not define these values, and if
you go to 8 bit then you have all sorts of ISO/Unicode possibilities.

ED and EDMK use X'20', X'21' and X'22 where IBM has defined these to be
digit selector, significance starter and field separator.  In 7-bit ASCII
they are space, ! and " (double quote).

(Note that UNPACK/PACK ASCII are defined in general instructions.)

At the risk of introducing a nostalgia thread because I don't have an S/360
POP available, in the old S/360 with the ASCII bit in the PSW, did
ED/EDMK/UNPK act any different, or were they not supported in ASCII mode?

Later,
Ray

--
M. Ray Mullins