> Depends on what you mean by a "real" difference. z/OS uses at least
one
> instruction which is not implemented on an IFL as it is on a GP
> processor. That's why you will get a "check stop" condition if you IPL
> z/OS in an LPAR which is defined as using an IFL.

> But I will admit that I don't know exactly how different a zAAP is
from
> a GCP. I just remember that some things will NOT work on a zAAP. I
> thought it was supervisory instructions and some types of interrupts.

Let's be clear - there is no difference AT ALL between the engines.
Every engine on the die can execute any instruction defined in the
architecture.

However, they each have a particular "personality" which is set at IML
time and that limits the set of instructions the engine is willing to
execute.

z/OS can't IPL on an IFL because the IFL knows "I'm an IFL today". In
other respects it's just another engine as you would expect, given you
can run another full function operating system (Linux) on it.

zAAP engines are a slightly different specialization. They are not
visible in the normal scheme of things and they can't field (I/O)
interrupts.

> I agree that a problem program should see no differences.

A problem program can't even "see" the zAAP. A supervisor state program
can discover information about the zAAP, but it can't legally run
anything on it. I doubt there's anyone lunatic enough out there to try
it.

> I was always curious if I could figure out a way to "cheat" to run
COBOL on a zAAP somehow. But I don't
> have a zAAP to mess around with.

Nope. The only way a zAAP gets to do any work at all is that the z/OS
dispatcher knows a zAAP is there. The dispatcher recognizes JVM work
and, if a zAAP is available, automatically dispatches that work on the
zAAP. But getting it going on the zAAP isn't exactly "free". That's
considered ok because JAVA work is typically going to crank for a
(relatively) long time.

> And I don't run z/OS 1.7 either (isn't that were zAAPs are first
supported?)

No. They have been around for a while. At least since 1.6, and maybe
even earlier. I don't remember for sure. Someone else will no doubt
chime in.

On your question of whether you could run an SRB on a zAAP;

SRBs are intended to be for very short running work that is in and out
and gone. They have been perverted into more long running things (e.g.
DB2) over the years, but the overhead of getting dispatched on a zAAP
would tend to limit the value of running a normal SRB on a zAAP - unless
the system knew ahead of time that the SRB was going to run for a while
- which of course it doesn't.

In theory if the dispatcher was willing to do it there is no reason SRB
work could not be dispatched on a zAAP, but it would be subject to the
same limitations as the JVM. In practice, the current JVM couldn't run
in SRB mode without some major surgery and there would not be any good
reason to do that. So you won't see an SRB running on a zAAP any time
soon.

CC