Maybe you could remove the problem PDS from your JCL and add code to the ASM
program to do a dynamic allocate of the PDS (maybe use another parmlib to hold
the name of the PDS in case it changes in the future, thus no program changes).
 If the dynamic allocate fails, issue the STIMER macro, wake up and try the
dynamic allocate again.  Repeat 'x' times as necessary and if still
unsuccessful give up.

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 1/19/2006 2:12:15 PM >>>
I thank you for your consideration.  But our operation may be compared to
a large (40+kMips) octopus wherein the arms do not always work in sync.

Someone else owns the datasets and job.  At the moment they are consumed
with bringing up two new plexes and at least one new Endeavor environment.
 And they see others problems through their own eyes.

I agree IEBCOPY has no need to use an ENQUE - dataset allocation handles
that.  And I remember working for a software vendor a decade ago that had
a product that did ENQUEs in places where other products by other vendors
(such as IBM) did not.  I think those products are not used now.

I would use an abend but that is politically incorrect when someone else
is using (somewhat reluctantly and belatedly) one's code by edict.

What I was wondering is, does FIND support (SVC 18) save information about
the directory (such as member last fetched and corresponding TTR) bewtwen
accesses if the file remains open.  And is there anything I have not
considered.

IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>wrote on 01/19/2006
12:52:56 PM:

>In a recent note, Knutson, Sam said:

>>Use PDSE

>The second-best idea.  Unfortunately we can't always do it because we
share data sets beyond sysplex boundaries.  HFS/z/FS shared by NFS might
be even better.

>>Use DISP=OLD either on your job or the compress

>Not always practical for heavily used linklibs and parameter libraries.

>>Change your code to do the same enqueue used by IEBCOPY

>How do I find that?  A search for ENQUEUE in:
>    Title: z/OS V1R7.0 DFSMSdfp Utilities Document Number: SC26-7414-03

>... returns no hits.  Do the queue names and resource names involved
require APF?

>-- gil

The information contained in this communication (including any
attachments hereto) is confidential and is intended solely for the
personal and confidential use of the individual or entity to whom it is
addressed.  The information may also constitute a legally privileged
confidential communication.  If the reader of this message is not the
intended recipient or an agent responsible for delivering it to the
communication in error and that any review, dissemination, copying, or
unauthorized use of this information, or the taking of any action in
immediately by e-mail, and delete the original message.  Thank you