> The zAAP may not have a need to use the 360-MP "shoulder tap"
technique to
> start I/Os or to field I/O interrupts. (I haven't found an appropriate
> dump yet - I have other things to do now.)  But I wouldn't actually
> suspect it uses that antique technique since (a) zAAPs are limited to
> processors using PR/SM and (b) Chris, whom I trust, said they don't
use
> it.  PR/SM definitely treats the zAAPs special so there may well be
sneaky
> hipervisor techniques used to signal the processors... especially if
the
> processors needing to be signalled are cross-book, for example.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Tom, but I don't think that's really
what I said. I don't know exactly how dispatching is done on the zAAP.
>From conversations with BCP folks and knowing a bit about the innards of
the OS, I can speculate how it might be done, but that's all. To the
best of my knowledge the actual workings are undisclosed.

> I haven't even established whether zAAPs run enabled or disabled for
I/O
> interrupts yet... if they ran disabled for I/O they would, of course,
run
> a lot faster.

I have not actually looked at a zAAP to be sure, but I am almost certain
they do run disabled for interrupts. That isn't so odd, since most of
the engines in a multi-engine LPAR are actually disabled for interrupts
most of the time.

Think CPENABLE. What's actually going on under the covers in that case
is that the OS disables interrupts via the control register, so the
state of the I/O interrupt mask in the PSW is irrelevant. The PSW mask
has to be and-ed with the control register, so no interrupts are
actually seen by that engine, even though it nominally appears to be
enabled for interrupts.

The system selectively enables more engines for fielding I/O interrupts
based on the number of interrupts handled via TPI. It's a throughput
versus responsiveness trade-off.

Given the limitations of zAAPs there would be no reason to enable one
for I/O interrupts.

> (All of the zAAP stuff seems like a shameful waste of creative
programming
> by Greg D. & Co. just to keep the ISVs from draining the customer base
> dry.)

Pretty much. Greg, Peter Relson and others burned a lot of cycles doing
it. My question at the time was... couldn't you just have implemented
separate accounting fields for JVM work? Apparently lawyers were
involved in making that decision, so this is what we get for allowing
lawyers to dictate system design.

CC