Thanks. I expect coding a workaround is a more productive use of my time
than wrestling with IBM.

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Mark Thomen
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 8:41 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: QSAM DCB not restored by CLOSE following S013-18 on OPEN

"Charles Mills" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> Thanks.
>
> I always do an Ignore (MVI 3(R1),4) and branch to the address passed in
R14.

> I do the Ignore without checking whether it is an allowed option (it is
in
> this case) on the theory that if it's not, what am I going to do? - Tell
> QSAM to proceed with the ABEND, which is what QSAM does anyway with the
> Ignore. I don't do Delay because in my particular situation, it's always
> one-DCB open. I don't request Recovery because it is not a recoverable
ABEND
> (typically - and not in this case).
>
> Other than that, there's not much to say about how I process the ABEND. I
> save the codes and the DD name pointed to by DCBTIOT, tell QSAM to
Ignore,
> and return. I'll mail you the code off line if you want.
>
> I tell QSAM to Ignore but I don't ignore it - I pass an error back to the
> HLL caller and do not attempt to further process the dataset, other than
> CLOSE the DCB (outside the exit).
>
> All suggestions welcome. Thanks again,

Response from one of the developers:

"The fact that he got an 013 abend means the DCB never opened. So issuing
the close was a big nop. The DCB would have to be restored because the DCB
abend exit said ignore."

You might open a PMR with L2 to investigate this further.

Thanks,
Mark Thomen
Catalog/IDCAMS/VSAM Development

Go to http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/storage/support/software/dfsms/
and click "Technical Notes" to search for DFSMS, Catalog, and VSAM issues.