> Had you been a little more exegetic, you could have noticed that the
> statement was intended
to say that IBM should make a license agreement with Hercules and create a
"student version"
of z/OS, then bundle that with the new zScholar program to reach those
institutions unable to
afford an actual mainframe.

Yes, I know exactly what you are saying - I think I've probably seen this
suggestion dozens if
not over a hundred times now.  And as I said, if you took the time to
understand it, such
an arrangement would cost a significant amount of lawyer and executive time -
you would
probably find it impossible to believe how much - and there is a risk, albeit
small, to their
existing revenue base.

Look at what happened with FLEX-ES.  IBM never signed a inherited a deal with
Fundamental  -
it inherited one with its commitments when it bought Sequent.  It found itself
in a cleft
stick with huge inventories of x430s - perhaps a couple of hundred - and
decided to market
FLEX-ES on the x430 "Enabled for S/390".

Despite agreements in place, licenses in place, mutual IP access agreements,
everything done
formally and everybody trusting everybody (almost) it took about a year to get
the partial
GOLC pricing mechanism in place within IBM.  And that's an IBM team working
within IBM to sell
IBM products.

I've still not seen any sign of anyone in the Hercules camp approaching IBM as
it needs to be
approached.

> It's not uncommon for the Java, C++ and NET college courses to include a CD
> in the text that
provides a limited version of the target platform for students to gain hands-on
instead of
just theory.  And yes it is a simple little agreement.

I know.  I have several.  Not relevant in any way.

> Pay attention, this is an example.  How do you think Java became so popular
> in the first
place?  It was a strategic masterstroke on Sun's part to make the language
commonly available
to the coding masses and was only a matter of time before the big guns decided
to license the
spec for their various platforms.  Since then, a whole new  middleware industry
has grown up
around "free" Java and is worth billions of dollars.  IBM's foresight in
enabling Java across
all hardware platforms was very smart indeed.  They spent a billion dollars a
year for years
to make it happen and now they are reaping the benefits.

All products are launched with free offers.  You can do that when you have no
revenue stream.

> The precedence for vast gain has already been set.  IBM stands zero risk to
> their installed
base of z/OS customers ...

You may not see a risk, but IBM's lawyers and executives will (not might) see
it differently.
There IS a risk whenever any legal arrangement is changed, and doing so is
expensive.  You
have to show a benefit.

> .. but stands to gain much more than their original goal of 20,000 new z/OS
> pros.

Sez you.  Stand at the back of a Hercules presentation and cound the heads that
still have
hair on.  The majority of people who want to run z/OS at home are old enough
for free bus
passes.  Get a few universities to ask for thirty thousand copies for their
students to use at
home.

> On an aside, the company IBM started out to be is not even close to what it
> is now, so the
longevity comparison is fundamentally flawed and irrelevant.

No, it's precisely what I meant

--
  Phil Payne
  http://www.isham-research.co.uk