Todd Burch wrote on 01/23/2006 07:15:01 PM:

> Woe to those who hit PF8 and advance into unused DATASPACE storage.
>
> Is there an option in IPCS Browse to overcome the HANG (X CLOCK)
situation
> when paging into the unused portion of a 2G dataspace dump?

I just tried DOWN MAX against several of the data spaces in an SDUMP that
is my current z/OS 01.07.00 default, and the response was instantaneous for
them all.  If you're seeing a different result, you may want to open a PMR
and get both the dump and your usage scenario to us.  Little details really
loom as important when we deal with missing storage ranges.

> Perhaps an option to turn off similar line compression?

Repetitive data compression has very little to do with the performance
concern mentioned earlier.  Most TSO users work with an emulated screen
that can almost always be filled with the contents of one 4K page of data
that is available.  I don't know of anyone seriously asking to see
terrabytes of missing storage described 16 or 32 bytes per line.  (IPCS
really could fill the screen fast if anyone wanted that.)  It is missing
storage ranges that are the real performance challenge for IPCS and the RSM
component code that helps with most such analysis.

I just checked the service history of IAXZRADS, the module most concerned
with helping IPCS cope with missing storage in a data space, and there have
been no PTFs against it for several releases.  APAR OA12445 affected
performance of BLSRRAGE, the IPCS routine that calls IAXZRADS when that is
necessary.  The PTFs for OA12445 dealt with excessive path length concerns
in many scenarios.

Bob Wright - MVS Service Aids