I have been in two NDA briefings before 24January announcement and corresponded since Tuesday with IBM. This was meant to be a "preview" so you could plan for the zIIPs.

The key points are:

DB2 enclave SRBs will be able to run on the zIIPs (depending on various parameters), and this will offload work from your general purpose engines, lowering the 4-hour rolling average which is the basis for DB2 charges (and everything else running in an LPAR w/DB2). For sites using Sub-Capacity this should further lower their software charges. For sites not yet using Sub-Capacity pricing metrics, this may *entice* them to use Sub-Capacity. For sites using measure usage, this CPU time will not be in the SMF89 records, so your next annual "price setting" may be lower.

The cost of the zIIP is the same as a zAAP $125000 (in the US).

DB2 V8 will work with the zIIP (with some PTFs) also z/OS 1.6 or later.

--
Al Sherkow, I/S Management Strategies, Ltd.
Consulting Expertise on Capacity Planning, Performance Tuning,