Since this is a recuring function that you will be performing and I didn't see this suggestion on the list, I will suggest it...Write a program to read the IEHLIST output and generate your deletes from that. You can concatenate the IEHLIST datasets from the 20 packs as your input. I have two similar processes that I use to get all of the datasets in a system by using either LISTCAT output or IEHLIST output. The former is a two step process, the first step to list all of the catalogues and the second step to list all of the datasets in those catalogues. This job is used to compare the contents of two systems to determine if any orphaned datasets exist before an upgrade. The second one is for recataloguing datasets for new sysres volumes and catalog volumes.

Pommier, Rex R. wrote:

Hi.

I'm afraid I'm in a "can't see the forest because of the trees"
situation which probably has a very easy answer that I can't see.

I have a disk pack that I need to get a large subset of the datasets off
it as well as uncataloged.  Is there some way using IDCAMS or DFSMSdss
to accomplish this using wildcards so I don't have to list each dataset
separately?  IDCAMS apparently only allows me to use a single-qualifier
wildcard which won't do it.
Unless somebody has a better idea as how to proceed here.  The situation
is that we have a training system here that is a clone of our
production.  On a semi-regular basis we are requested to refresh the
training system.  The process is to delete the training system datasets
then use DFSMSdss COPY to copy the datasets from production to training.
I have tried just using DFSMSdss COPY with REPlace but apparently the
REPlace parameter of DSS COPY doesn't work with the RENameUnconditional
because DSS complains about the output datasets already being there.
I don't want to have to list all the datasets individually in IDCAMS
DELETE statements because that will be a maintenance nightmare.

Environment is z/OS 1.4.
What am I missing?

Rex