From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Alan C. Field
Sent: Friday, 3 February 2006 9:32 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: COBOL Compile time Question

We sent a bunch of COBOL source off-site to get it massaged.

Now we have it back and some of the source won't compile. Enterprose
3.3.1 compiler.

By that I mean the 140,000 source line program blows the compiler.

We've been juggling with the SIZE and BUF parameters and feel we've
squeezed as much as we can. Size is set to 9216K and BUF to 256.

If we set SIZE any smaller the compiler terminates with the
recommendation to increase the SIZE.

We're seeing the following abend now:

IEA705I ERROR DURING GETMAIN SYS CODE = 804-10 xxxxxxx  COB STEP010 00
IEA705I 00F89280 00AC9C48 00AC9C48 00001200 00000FA0

If I understand the programmer correctly the off-site folks are
compiling on a PC and not having problems.

So, what factors influence the amount of storage needed? Number of
source statements?
Size of working storage, number of unique variable names, number of FDs?

I think any source program that is 140,000 lines is way too large to be
comprehensible.

All insight into this situation appreciated.

Alan

email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search
the archives at http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html