Pat,

I've already dealt with Shmuel's comment.

In addition I can add the following:

1. Interestingly enough, the IBM3767 MODEENT doesn't have a PSERVIC so the
TELNET server, otherwise the TN3270 server, will indeed have to change the
BIND image in the received CINIT in order to specify X'01' in the first byte
of the presentation services field. Presumably when the device type is found
to be LINEMODE in the TELNET negotiation, the use of "LU type 1" is already
decided and, unlike CICS, the TELNET server will not be relying on the BIND
image to decide the type of session that will follow.

2. I was going to say that I can't see that the TELNET server has any reason
to change the other BIND fields since this is normally based on other
parameters and I don't recall that there are any other likely parameters in
the BEGINVTAM block. However in putting together my point 1 I have indeed
discovered a necessary change to the presentation services field.

3. The reason that the 3767 is the flavour of "LU type 1" device which is
relevant here and no other is that the 3767 did not use function management
headers (FMHs) and that is the flavour of "LU type 1" device which - go on
then - the TN3270 server emulates. RJE necessarily involves the use of FMHs
which are used to identify the origin or select the destination of data
streams on the multiple device RJE machine - with the possible exception of
the "console" stream - it's all so long ago now since I played with my 3776s
and 7s.

Chris Mason