In a recent note, Craddock, Chris said:

> Date:         Fri, 3 Feb 2006 14:22:56 -0600
>
> > Why would AMASPZAP processing be any different for PDSE?

Can PDSE members be updated in place?

> It used to be (until I opened a PMR on it 3 or 4 years ago) that you
> could not zap program objects. AMASPZAP just curled up its toes and
> barfed if you presented it with a program object. It is probably still
> the case that you can't zap program object contents in classes other
> than B_TEXTxx, but at least you can apply zaps to code.

If I were to believe the manual, I'd think you can even zap program
objects in HFS.  But it doesn't always work.  The program:

    //ZAP        EXEC   PGM=AMASPZAP
    //SYSPRINT   DD     SYSOUT=A
    //SYSLIB     DD     PATHOPTS=ORDONLY,
    //  PATH='/bin'
    //SYSIN      DD     *
     DUMP        compress
     DUMP        uncompress

produces:

********************************* TOP OF DATA
 IGWSPZAP  INSPECTS, MODIFIES, AND DUMPS CSECTS OR SPECIFIC DATA RECORDS ON
DIRECT ACCESS STORAGE.
  DUMP        compress

 **RECORD LENGTH: 0000007C CLASS: B_TEXT           MEMBER NAME: compress
                                                   CSECT NAME:  CEESTART
 00000000  47000000   47000002   90ECD00C   053047F0      30180014   CE030310
0000002C   C3C5C5E2
     [ snip! ]

 AMA113I COMPLETED DUMP REQUIREMENTS
    So far so good.  However:
  DUMP        uncompress
 AMA140T UNABLE TO COMPLETE OPERATION DUE TO BINDER ERROR, FUNCTION = INCLUDE,
RC=8, RSN=83000514
 AMA113I COMPLETED DUMP REQUIREMENTS

... Looks as if another PMR is needed.

-- gil