Sure wish you could convince my CIO of this. All divisions of our company
but one are moving away from the mainframe to distributed systems which take
up allot more space than our one mainframe; which all the lines of business
were running on. Cooling all these distributed servers has been a challenge,
they eventually had to add a new chiller which cost them a bundle, just to
cool all these things and they are still having trouble cooling the blade
servers. The extra UPS capacity is costing them and having to get a bigger
generator. It just don't make since to me.
The only thing that is going to save my job will be the Bank division of my
company. The bank runs financial software from Fidelity/Alltel which runs on
the mainframe and there just isn't a distrusted system than can compete and
give you the security a bank a needs (at least for a bank of our size).
James

-"We're getting off the mainframe" is a ridiculous reason not to do
-anything. Inertia costs money -- more money -- in many (most?) instances.
-If you're bleeding, go see a doctor. If you have a guaranteed positive
-return on investment in 18 months (for example), it would be sheer
-business folly not to act if you've had a "getting off" strategy for 18
-years. :-)

- - - - -
-Timothy F. Sipples
-Consulting Enterprise Software Architect, z9/zSeries
-IBM Japan, Ltd.
-E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

**********    Confidentiality Notice    **********
This electronic transmission and any attached documents or other
writings are confidential and are for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) identified above. This message may contain information
that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure
under applicable law. If the receiver of this information is not the
intended recipient, or the employee, or agent responsible for delivering
the information to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any use, reading, dissemination, distribution, copying or storage of this
information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this information in
error, please notify the sender by return email and delete the electronic
transmission, including all attachments from your system.