From: James Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
As systems programmers we then complain about new functions not being
exploited - surely we have a responsibility to at least 'point people' in
the right direction.

James,

I think the responsibility for informing people of new software functionality should fall primarily on the software vendor, secondarily on company management, and finally (and to a much lesser extent) on the actual individual who uses the software.

In the case of management, making employees aware of changes can be accomplished in various ways, whether it be as formal as a training class or as simple as a memo. It should be part of someones job description (e.g. the systems programmer who installs each new release or any other knowledgable individual) to ensure this is done.

In the case of a software vendor, I believe all of the following should be mandatory:

1) A section at the start of the user guide/reference manual should cover all new product features. 2) A tutorial, available directly from the primary tutorial, should cover all new product features. 3) When a user first enters a new product version, they should automatically see a message saying "This is a new version, would you like to see the new features tutorial now or defer to later?"

In addition, if there are ways to highlight new features (such as displaying a message the first time a certain option is selected), that should be done as well. Field-level help, context sensitive tutorials, messages that actually convey meaningful information (etc) all go without saying. In other words, vendors should do absolutely everything in their power to make their software as easy to use as humanly possible.

Dave Salt
SimpList(tm) - The easiest, most powerful way to surf a mainframe!
http://www.mackinney.com/products/SIM/simplist.htm