Hi,

Have you started the Console ID Tracking facility on your system?  You
probably should consider to do it.

The Tracking facility records instances of one-byte or migration console

ID usage.  These instances are known as violations. Programs that use
these one-byte or migration IDs are known as violators.

We have added to COMMNDxx

COM='SETCON TRACKING=ON          ENABLE CONSOLE ID TRACKING         '
COM='SET CNIDTR=00               USE OUR CONSOLE ID TRACKING LIST   '

At z/OS R6 and beyond routinely reviewing what is showing up in TRACKER
seems like a good idea.

Working with all the vendors and any local code to get it updated to
clear these seems like a better idea.

IBM supplies a z/OS consoles 1-byte tracker exclusion list with known
issues which may be useful especially if you are still on R4 and have
not updated vendor products recently.

Parmlib member samples are available for the z/OS consoles 1-byte
tracker exclusion list.

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/downloads/

Once I got to z/OS R6 I elected to stop using the IBM sample list and to
build our own from scratch again so we had a better idea of vendor
products that might need updates even if the vendors had not yet built
the updates.
I contact each vendor that shows up in the tracker and query them on
support for the future console restructure and update our CNIDTR00 list
and IBM if the vendor was not listed or the answer differed from what
comments in IBM's sample list indicated.

This has resulted in an education process for a few vendors and even
caught products that thought they had completed all the work.

IBM APAR II13752 & APAR OA10531 have more information.

OA10531 which tracks the use of demand select to obtain an MCS console
by ID or unit name has enough information that you probably should
mention it to a vendor who is showing up with "Subsystem Console Service
FFFFFFFF" in the tracker.

There was a good session at the last SHARE conference where some of the
recent past and future enhancements to CONSOLE were reviewed again.

2881 - Now Playing at a Screen Near You - z/OS Console Restructure

The speaker will describe the technical highlights of Operator Messaging
Architecture Enhancements, a separately orderable feature of z/OS 1.4,
and included in the base for z/OS 1.5 and higher. The speaker will
discuss the changes IBM has made in the Console Services component of
z/OS as well as describe the actions customers can take now to be ready
for this new feature. This presentation will also include a preview on
the future Sysplex availability improvements planned for the Console
Services component as well as what you can do to be prepared to exploit
the improvements.

http://shareew.prod.web.sba.com/client_files/callpapers/attach/SHARE_in_
Boston/2881.pdf

http://shareew.prod.web.sba.com/proceedingmod/abstract.cfm?abstract_id=1
1230&conference_id=12

It seems like feeding any updates for vendor products not already listed
in the current IBM sample to the console team is a good idea for the MVS
community and you too.

        Best Regards,

                Sam Knutson, GEICO
                Performance and Availability Management
                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                (office)  301.986.3574

"Think big, act bold, start simple, grow fast..."

][

This email/fax message is for the sole use of the intended
Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution of this
email/fax is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please
destroy all paper and electronic copies of the original message.