In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 02/10/2006
   at 10:07 AM, Anne & Lynn Wheeler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>in the initial translation from "real-storage" MVT operating system,
>to VS2-SVS ... single virtual storage, a single 16mbyte virtual
>address space was created and some paging code was hacked onto the
>side of MVT ... and ccw translation routine from CP67 (CCWTRANS) was
>glued into MVT. In effect, for most of MVT, it was as if it was
>running on 16mbyte real machine (and there was little awareness that
>it was running in a virtual machine environment.

There were several things that made it visible.

 1. TSO swapping

 2. The presence of *all* SVC modules in the address space.

 3. The (unfortunate, IMHO) ABEND S0C4 that did *not* indicate
    a PI type 4.

>The real machine might have 4mbytes of real storage,

Ours only had 2 MiB.

>The real machine might have 4mbytes of real storage, but there was a
>total of 16mbytes of virtual storage defined.

More if you took TSO into account.

>3081 and 370-xa introduced 31-bit (virtual) addressing and also
>generalized the duall-address space support with "access registers"
>and "program call".

No. PC came in with the 303x, prior to XA, and access registers came
in with the 3090, later than XA and part of ESA.