Why ZIP to ANY 3490 or 3590 tape? The tape unit itself compresses before
writing. The VT seems to do it twice. Once to see if it has all the data
that would fit on a "normal" 3490 cart. I guess it writes the compressed data
to its internal dasd. It would seem strange to compress data just to make it
look like a 3490 full cart to a TMS and then throw the compressed data away
and write the long stuff to internal dasd. I don't know if the VTM expands
the data as it reads from dasd before sending it to the 3590 as a stacked vol.
In any case, the 3590 compresses it again.

ZIP seems like a waste of cycles unless you have channel bandwidth problems.

DSS