David.Speake wrote:
> This stimulates. Why should they not be able to run
> UNIX/LINEX/AS400/Alpha-VMS or even Windows on Z chips without Z/OS or
VM. I
> have no idea what the instruction set burned into the metal is like
nor how
> I/O is really done at the hardware level. The ONLY metal instruction I
know
> of is SIE and I saw that one here less than a month ago. Does only the
> milli/micro/nano code have to change for it to pretend to be anything
> desired? Does this level resemble S/360 decedents POP instructions at
all? I
> saw some S/370 micro code listings about 30 years ago, but... For all
I know
> the Z chips have the same "metal" instruction set as the Pentium X/Y/Z
> whatever. Pointers desired and apreciated.

recent posting on macrocode that amdahl implemented original
hypervisor ... tge eventual response was pr/sm on 3090.
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006b.html#38 blast from the past ... macrocode

the low-end and mid-range 370s tended to be "vertical" microcode ...
i.e. instructions look a lot like machine code (for a long time,
the sort of rule of thumb was that there was an avg. of 10 "microcode"
instructions for every 370 instruction). the high-end 370s tended to be
"horizontal" microcode (something more akin to itanium rather than pentium).

at one point there was a large project to converge the large number of
(different) internal microprocessors to 801/risc. and the follow-on to
the 4341 (4381) was going to use a 801/risc processor. that was
eventually killed when it was shown that it was becoming possible to
implement a large fraction of 370 instructions directly in silicon.
misc. 801, risc, romp, rios, power, power/pc, fort knox and somerset
postings
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#801

for some topic drift a somewhat related post in comp.arch
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006c.html#3 Architectural support for
programming languages

lots of past postings about 360 and 370 microcode
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/subtopic.html#mcode

a recent posting touching on horizontal microcode processor in the 3830
disk controller being replaced with jib-prime vertical microcode
processor in the 3880
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006c.html#6 IBM 610 workstation computer