On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 16:29 -0500, Bruce Black wrote:
> > What does ISMF say about your default device geometry?
> I am pretty sure that the SMS default geometry only affects space
> calculations, converting CYL and TRK requests to bytes, and does not
> affect SDB

I think Bob Rutledge has nailed the discrepancy.  He pointed out to me
that in "Using Datasets":

        "Each block in an extended-format data set has a
        32-byte suffix, which is added by the system.
        Your program does not see this suffix, but you
        might need to  consider it when you calculate
        disk space requirements."

I retested SDB for non-SMS, SMS and SMS-EF, with the result:

LRECL   BLK (non-SMS)   BLK (SMS)       BLK (EXT)
6991    27964           27964           27964
6992    27968           27968           6992
6999    27996           27996           6999
7000    7000            7000            7000

So extended-format datasets are blocked differently by SDB, likely due
to that 32-byte suffix.  Yes, 8 != 32, but there is other block overhead
and a block has to fit in an integral number of cells.  See:
http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/AM3U1001/B.1.1?SHELF=AM311903&DT=19930630180527&CASE=

--
David Andrews
A. Duda and Sons, Inc.