On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 15:22:03 -0500, Jousma, David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Yep, we were burned by that one too.  Had a lengthy conversation with
>IBM support on this one, finally got them to fess up that this behavior
>change was part of the ENT COB 3.4 support, although it was not
>documented in the PTF as such at the time.  This is a real messy one.
>Like you say, it changes run-time behavior because of the change in the
>compare, and might not manifest itself for a long time.

<snip>

What I don't get is... at least as of right now this APAR is not
even marked HIPER (or doesn't IBM do that until the PTF is
available?).    This has gone to the highest levels of management
in our organization and the question has been asked many times by
senior management: "Doesn't IBM alert you to a problem like this that
has potential for this much damage?"

It's hard to respond to that.... yes, there was HOLDDATA and normally
someone downloads it weekly and reviews SMP/E report errorsysmods to
see potential impacts.   This one was overlooked. Even if found,
by the person looking things over, I doubt the impact would have
been realized.

In my thinking, this should have been a red alert.   It seems
that those are reserved to problems that can't be resolved
without an IPL or cause an IPL.  While no one likes system
outages and they can cost real money depending on the business,
data corruption is IMHO a *much worse* scenario. We recently
went though a recovery effort from a problem caused by another
vendor related to data loss/corruption.  Took several weeks
of 24*7 work by a lot of people.

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
Zurich North America and Farmers Insurance Group