On 16/02/06, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 02/16/2006
>    at 03:03 PM, Steve Flynn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> >Things are getting weird.
>
> Not really; you're just expecting REXX to have CLIST semantics.

Bingo, sort of...

After much gnashing of teeth, wailing and staring in disbelief at the
terminal, I checked which DD the offending library was concatenated
into. I expected it to be in my SYSPROC concat, but it appeared in my
SYSEXEC concatentation, so it was being interpreted as a REXX
procedure. Double quoting the EXCLUDE commands at the start of the
code meant that they all ran through OK, and lines were excluded as I
would expect, but then I got RC (-3) errors from the SET LINE=1
command...

TRX is used at this site, so I was able to modify my own allocations
on the fly. Moving the CLIST library from SYSEXEC and adding it to
SYSPROC meant the code worked as expected!

As for the original error, I sussed that within a few minutes - once
all of the "exclude" commands have been executed, there was no data
left to process, the main DO/WHILE loop was bypassed as 1 is not LE 0,
and the command right at the end to DELETE .ZF .DEL failed as .DEL was
only set within the loop we just bypassed.

Easily fixed, which is more than can be said for the 3 snapped
pencils, my steadily increasing blood pressure and the 5 hours on my
timesheet for a 5 minute job.

I'll go back to lurking and ranting silently.

Many thanks to all those that offered help! :)

--
Steve
Despair - It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black...