In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 02/17/2006
   at 06:21 PM, Phil Payne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>(That will probably get me another SnottyGram from Bell Helicopter's
>firewall for "inappropriate sexist language".  Seufz.)

Or possibly a different word further on.

>you could by all means take a stiffie in

Try Saltpeter.

>but you were not allowed to take it out again.

A bit harsh, what?

>Did you ever try to walk out of a data centre with a 10" 3420-style
>self-loader under your arm?

Yes - lots of times. So did vendor personnel.

>The Spanish Inquisition was a breeze
>compared to those security checks.

Not everyone has the same management you do. Of course, the shops
where management doesn't care about security at all are as bad,
perhaps worse, than the shops where a concern for security compromises
the mission of the data center.

>We have lost the glass-house discipline,

What discipline? Every shop is different. I've been at shops where I
was regarded as a freak because I wanted code and design reviews. I've
been at shops where basic common sense security rules were ignored[1],
even though they were required by law. I know of a data center move
where the entire tape library was shipped to the new location without
first making backup copies.

[1] No, writing the combination to a classified container on the
    blackboard in hex because "nobody will be able to read it"
    is not complaint with Federal security requirements. I don't
    know what the UK law is, but I'd be very surprised if it was
    legal in your neck of the woods either.