-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Todd Burch
Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2006 8:01 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: z/Architecture Principles of Operation (SA22-7832-04)

(Attn: old post resurrection warning...)

Thomas, I'm using the Long Displacement Facility quite a bit in
a piece of code I'm writing now.  It's not so much that I need
it for the CSECT, but for the DSECT.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied with it.  There is however, one
consideration that I'll point out.

There is no way to tell (that I have figured out) IBM macros to
expand and exploit this facility.  Any operands to fields that
are past 4096 bytes of your closest USING do not assemble
properly.  (Examples, OPEN, GET)

So, for big sections, you still need to have a register
available for addressing around these macros.

Todd

FYI:  How to test for this facility:

      USING PSA,0
      TM    FLCEFACILITIESBYTE2,X'20'
      BNO   NOT_INSTALLED       LONG DISPLACEMENT FACILITY NOT INSTALLED
      DROP  0
      IHAPSA  LIST=YES
      END