On 23/02/06, Binyamin Dissen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:12:44 +0000 Steve Flynn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> :>I was after a regular expression to define a valid MVS dataset name.
> :>Does anyone have something to hand? I can't find anything in the
> :>archives...
>
> Don't know RE's but.....
>
> Maximum length 44

I'm struggling to encode this part into the RE! If I'm being honest
I'm struggling on a lot more than that...

> Structure is FOO followed by ("." FOO) from zero to 21 times (21 times making
> up the 44 character length)
>
> FOO is one to eight characters
>
> First character is Alphabetic or #$@
>
> Second to eighth is alphabetic [EMAIL PROTECTED] or numeric
>
> Can this be described as an RE?

Speaking as somene who is learning RegExp's as he goes along I think;

FOO = "[EMAIL PROTECTED]@$]{1,8}?\."

At this point I think I've covered the first qualifier... An ungodly
mess if I ever saw one. Hope slips from my grasp as I realise I have
no way to say "and that can be followed by more of the same but only
as long as you don't roll over 44 characters and don't forget that you
can end in a period"

As a little background, I'm writing an XML schema which is describing
an XML document which can contain MVS datasets in  a few fields. I'm
trying to valididate fields and coming to the conclusion it's
exceptionally difficult for my limited experience.

Sigh. Never has my sig looked more appropriate.
--
Steve
Despair - It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black...